Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thinking about selling…Call your Realtor early when you are putting together your plan of action…

j0308936

I recently went on a market analysis.  I sold the home to these clients over twenty years ago and although they have been on my mailing list all that time, I had not seen them since the closing date.  I was very pleased they called and delighted to reconnect with them. 

Upon arrival, the husband proudly informed me they had been working on getting the home ready to sell for the past two years, they would be putting it on the market, renting until they retired and relocating after that. 

The house was clean and freshly painted…in all the colors they loved. Although they made some changes they really were not the ones that would be high on a buyers list.  I know they worked hard, spent money and put time,energy and thought into the renovation. 

I wished they had called me in a year ago.  We could have called in a home stager, discussed options that would appeal to a buyer, targeted their goal date and had a home that was far more salable for our market that continues to be both a price war and a beauty contest. 

As it is, they the market is now telling them the price is too high, they need a new kitchen and their color choices are not ones that appeal to a potential buyer. 

Is this home my listing? No…I wanted to list it $25,000 lower than the price they had in mind.  I wanted a stager to come in and and least re-arrange the furniture for the professional photos I  have taken.  If I had come in earlier, I would have suggested hardwood floors rather than new carpeting on the first floor. The basement needed a coat of neutral paint and even if the kitchen was not remodeled, stainless appliances would have been a good investment. 

All of this boils down to … call your Realtor in early…brainstorm together…create a plan, a timeline and buy into the services of other professionals who can get you to the closing table.  Good Luck!  if you are thinking now for the future…it is never too early to give me a call!

No comments: