Friday, September 25, 2009

The Client

At a recent Open House for Realtors, I overheard a conversation between two Realtors about "the client". One was sharing a story about her preschooler being asked in class what she wanted to be when she grew up...the little one responded with a happy smile on her face, "A Client." Apparently, there was so much discussion in their home around the dinner table detailing all that was being done for "the client" that is sounded like absolutely the best thing to be when you grow up.

It made me think of my current clients. I wondered if they felt cared for, worried over, the object of my ongoing thoughts and concerns. It occurred to me that the mom realtor in the above story was particularly mindful about what was said and carefully kept all of the client's information private, even within their home.

Does it surprise our clients that such care is taken? In this stressful time when it is taking many more weeks to sell a home than in previous markets, are the clients aware they are the subject of an ongoing search for new ideas, creative marketing, weekly market focus on what is selling and what is sitting on the market? The Realtor takes her job seriously. She has a deep concern for getting the job done in the least amount of time with the least amount of inconveience.

I have heard stories as we all have about the real estate transaction from Hell. I am certain not every Realtor preforms to the very best of their professional ablilty on every single transaction. We are all human, but this is a service industry. We are bound to a code of ethics. We are accountable to our clients and our industry.

Whether asking for a price reduction, suggesting a higher offer to a buyer, seeking out the best new properties on the market, all of this is done to serve the client...meet their needs and get the job done. I think I want to be a client when I grow up, too!

No comments: